Snapshot

Nostalgia is a familiar feeling in my life. I was just looking at old photos on my grandmother's Facebook, and there is one in particular that inspired me to write this entry. It is a picture of the backyard of her old house, located right across the street from mine in Dallas. The picture captures the quaint simplicity that so much of my childhood means to me now, with the sunlight splattered across the green grass, bird bath in the foreground and green plants and trees all around. In my mind's eye I can see the faces of my grandmother or cousin Savannah behind the screen door. My grandmother would be coming to tell me that she had ice cream in the freezer or my favorite Club crackers in the pantry, and Savannah would be running outside, clutching a purple, sparkly grocery-store plastic ball.

While I think it is safe to say that some would scoff at my sentimentality, I also think that there is something about recalling moments that sustains us. Life is busy and quick-paced for so many of us, and reconnecting ourselves with snapshots of memories keeps us going, and reminds us that even when life has a way of flying by us, we are grounded. We have roots.

Comments

  1. Right on, Eva. I couldn't have said it better myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear Beva -- Such sweet sentiments. I'm so glad you do derive feelings of rootedness from those times. I do so often remember those times. I'm looking forward to spending some time with you at your home on Eastwood this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was really deep! i liked the root idea a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts