Lately in Gaborone

It's been a relaxing past few days at UB. Classes are officially over, and my exams begin this Thursday. Since last Thursday I've mainly spent my time being with friends, reading, following the lectionary for Holy Week, and celebrating Easter. Saturday I was invited to a birthday party for Eve, one of my dear local friends. It was her 21st. I've gotten the chance to go to a handful of birthday parties here, and each one has been unique from the one before. What one will always find at a birthday party, however, no matter where it is or who it is for, is plenty of house music, braai (barbecue) food, and of course family and friends (it's always cute to watch the little kids dance to the house music). What is interesting about 21st birthdays here, or at least the two that I attended, is the emphasis on growing up and becoming a responsible adult. There was a set agenda for every part of the party, and it didn't begin until Eve came downstairs wearing a beautiful white dress. Several informal speeches were made by Eve and her family members, and her mother even insisted that I say a few words of "advice" for Eve. Then the presentation of the gifts came, and when we were all told to go outside for the opening of the last gift, I knew it would be something big. Eve squealed like I've never heard her exclaim before as she took out the keys to her brand new car. The rest of the evening was fun--full of plenty of picture-taking with local boys and a middle-aged man who wouldn't let go of my friend Maggie. "I love her! I want to spend a lot of time with her!" Quite hilarious.

Friday afternoon I attended Good Friday mass at the Main Mall Cathedral. The place was packed. I really enjoyed it--even though I didn't always know the right times to kneel and stand, it was really neat being surrounded by a variety of cultures and ethnicities. A particularly wonderful moment was singing "Were You There" while standing in line for the veneration of the cross. It really resonated with me that even halfway across the world I could sing a song that I grew up hearing, and be part of a holy event even 10,000 miles away from where I normally experience it.

Here is a reflection I wrote about one of the scriptures for Holy Week that I'd like to share. Let me know what you think.

20 April
There is an image that I noticed while reading the Lenten lectionary for Holy Week yesterday. It is a new image to me. In at least two of the four passages, I was drawn to the notion of God or Jesus drawing people to God’s self. In Isaiah 49:1-7, the author speaks of “he who formed me in the womb to be his servant to bring Jacob back to him and gather Israel to himself.” It is a crucifixion/resurrection that I have never noticed before. It is beautiful. Furthermore, in John 12: 20-36, Jesus states that “now the prince of this world will be driven out… But I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself.” As I read such words I am drawn to the notion of Jesus’ ministry and death as symbols and living representation of turning the status quo upside down. Paired with this idea is the powerful image of Jesus drawing all of creation to himself, beneath the brokenness of the cross. The manner in which Jesus dies, hanging on a cross within a battered and limp body, is the ultimate expression of humility and (ironically) peace, the kinds of things that Jesus wanted the world to see. “But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.” (1 Corinthians 1: 27-30)

Comments

Popular Posts