Another Attempt at Poetry: "Dancing and Discernment"

I may have "poetic-flavored" lenses to the world more so than logic- or empirical- first ones, but I would not call myself a poet. I have no working knowledge of what it means or looks like to write good poetry (I'm a little better at reading it, I suppose). I barely studied poetry in my English classes in high school and college. For all I know, I'm a poetry poser.

That said, when I have moments where a rush of words comes rushing to my body and heart (much more so than my head, in these moments), I have to pay attention and do my best to write them down. Often they come out as prose, but in rare instances they come out in cobbled-together sentences I attempt to name as poetry.

Here is one such poem. Thoughts and feedback are welcome (but go easy...)!

We are in this dance.
Where is the line between the hand extended and the hand received,
the jumping in and the invitation to jump?
You gesture a full welcome,
But where is the place for eccentricity, woundedness, even a less-than-certain stance?
Your desire for authenticity, innovation, "difference..."
It drives me. It unfetters a fettered stream within me.

But I am told:
There are fines coming.
Are my annual dues and my
willingness to uproot
my sturdy roots of young life
Enough?
Enough to dance in a different direction,
Toe tapping a laughing gull of a
Whisper?
Where is your hand?
I look for it.
Do I reach mine out?
Do I extend my stem just a bit above dark earth,
Awaiting to be met with sunshine and rain?
Where is the line between the hand extended and the hand received?



Comments

  1. Hello Eva. I am a Pastor rom Mumbai, India. I am blessed and eel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you through your pro ile on the blogger and the blog post. I am glad to know that you are a Seminarian and are in the ministry. I love to get connected with the people o God around the globe to be encouraged, strengtheded and praying or one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry or last 37 yr sin this great city o Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest o rich and the poorest o poor live. we reach out to the poorest o poor with the love o Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults rom the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai with your riends to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a li e changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking orward to hear rom you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your amily and riends. Also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered New year. Note some letters are missing in the message.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts