Thoughts on Frail Democracy & the Amy Coney Barrett Confirmation



Similar to what I'm reading and hearing from many of you, I'm also hurt, angry and experiencing swirls of feeling and thoughts after the Coney Barrett confirmation.
To my friends and fellow journeyers who are feeling particularly afraid and angry about the implications of this decision on your lives and identities: I'm here, I'm committed-- and need accountability, too.
A few nuggets/"next steps" I'm landing on that I invite you to practice with me (I need friends and accountability!) and share your thoughts about:
1) Make sure friends, family, students I work with have voted or have a voting plan. Hold government bodies accountable in whatever ways I can, particularly in my local municipality and state. Continue to be part of community groups & civic organizations that fight for equity and justice for all people-- especially folx marginalized by our society/world.
2) Stay alert to and learn about how corruption and coercive power are showing up especially acutely today and have shown up for centuries in the U.S. and across the world. Learn from political and social leaders/writers/thinkers whose analyses help me understand and think critically about what's happening to a continually unraveling social & democratic fabric. Recognize and work on shedding the ways my own privilege & whiteness play roles in this larger conversation about power.
3) Create and show up for daily/weekly rhythms and rituals that leave space for me to acknowledge my own and others' anger/hurt/grief AND ground me in a bigger picture/story--the why & how this is all important. As a person of faith I will ground in scripture, theology and practices that proclaim a God of love & liberation. Have conversations and find/support communities and people who are not only combatting governmental corruption through our political systems, but actively re-imagining and embodying/creating spaces (churches and faith communities, neighborhoods, mutual aid societies, farms) that take care of their people and place liberation and belovedness of all people front and center. (adrienne marie brown's work has been an amazing conversation partner for thinking about this.)
4) WORK ON OVERCOMMITMENT. I say yes to a lot of things, and sometimes it's too much and then I move through my days without being as present to my tasks, communities, and relationships as I need to. Asking "what is mine to do with my gifts, experiences and time?" and "what is NOT mine to do?" is critical.
What are you feeling, friends? How are you taking care of you? What are you committing to?

Comments

  1. Thanks, Eva! I’ve been so aggravated by the R’s court-packing, I’ve hardly been able to give attention to the ACB travesty. Almost passed on this blog post, but so thankful for the heart and the hope in this way of responding. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts