Swirling Thoughts on Social Media

I often find “I'm taking a break from social media” social media posts ironic and humorous. 
There’s something so human about needing to announce to ourselves and others about this thing we need a break from that makes announcements of so much of our lives.⁣⁣

I’ve shared in a few different threads in recent months about some of my struggles and curiosities with online community and what I notice about its impact on my/our attention, personal identities, self-worth, engagement with the world, etc.-- for good and for ill.
I notice lots of collective conversation and writing on some of the biggie impacts of social media-- things like data mining, misinformation, performative activism, dopamine and the addictive nature of social media... And (yes, good stuff too) great stuff like sharing ideas and resources, connecting with community organizers and grassroots groups, etc.⁣

This is all HUGELY important.
And... I also wonder and crave reflection about some of what might be more hidden, "personally stickier” elements of our relationship with these powerful platforms.

Here are the reflection questions/nuggets I’m asking right now, as I begin a social media hiatus through mid-June. My intention is to actually honor myself & these inner tugs enough to pay attention to and sit with them.⁣

  • What am I seeking in sharing? Whose/what gaze am I searching for, and why?⁣
  • What is this post/image/etc. that I'm interacting with inviting me to do or not do? Is this post/image/etc. (mine or someone else’s) inviting me to turn inward and reflect on my own inner wisdom (as and where that may be important to me)? 
  • Is this helping me have courageous, grace-filled conversation with people offline, too? How or how not?⁣
  • How have I made myself a commodity on social media? How have I made others commodities? 
  • Where/how do I genuinely experience joy in myself and with others in online spaces?
  • Explore those FOMO feelings!⁣
    • Where do I notice feelings/thoughts of comparison in my own being?⁣
    • In what ways might these spaces counter comparison/”not enoughness” feelings/postures with abundance?⁣

If it isn't obvious already, I can also be someone who overthinks things. Sometimes we just need escapes and fluff and pictures and to stay connected in the midst of it all. And, these questions have nagged me persistently & long enough that I think they're worth really looking at, and I wondered about what it'd be like to share them in this space. (The irony is everywhere, y'all.)
 
Wanna join me? Wanna have coffee with my and talk image, identity, media, relationships, and more? Seriously interested in conversation-- offline. 😊


-E

Comments

Popular Posts