Seed-Planting

This past Saturday I think I planted a seed.

Earlier in the semester, I received an email from the youth director of First United Methodist Church of Conway stating that I had been recommended to lead a workshop on going green for an Arkansas Conference youth retreat called Veritas. What an opportunity! This was a chance for me to get real-world application of what I might want to do someday.

I arrived at Hot Springs Convention Center after a great car ride of singing my heart out to my favorite songs. I was eagerly anticipating the faces of teenagers in front of me, but doubting my ability to impart some sort of wisdom. A half-hour before the first session, I had everything ready--PowerPoint and projector up and running, movie in the CD player, notes at hand. It was when the kids and youth leaders began arriving that the nerves hit me.

Still, I think I held my own pretty well, and while there were youth that seemed totally disinterested in what I was talking about (especially in the second session), many of them said they learned something and are really interested in the green movement.

Above all, it was a learning experience. Not only was I reminded of those things I can be doing to be more earth-friendly, but I learned what it means to put yourself out there, and to actually take action in educating and talking with people about critical issues like the environment. A scrawny 8th grade boy pointed out to me, in his southern drawl, "Somebody tol' me that global warmin' ain't true. It's a myee-ith." And you know what? I'm glad he did, because just being able to talk about it, not tiptoe around it out of fear or timidity, is so important.

So I think I planted a seed or two.
I know there will be more to come, and I pray that I have the eyes to see the opportunities.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts