Bringing Out the Maternal Instincts

This week I've gotten to spend some quality time with my younger cousins one street over from me. It's crazy how little I've actually seen them this summer, despite how close we live to each other. The past two evenings have made up for it to some extent, though.

Wednesday night I went over to watch the kids while my aunt and uncle were at a band rehearsal. I played some Mario with 11-year-old Savannah (which I am pretty lousy at, but oh well) in between coloring and playing with 2-year-old Sarah and feeding (and trying to get back to sleep) baby Pace. Savannah stated several times during the evening that I was "the best babysitter" or "a great mother"--something along those lines. I never actually realized how natural everything came to me. I've always enjoyed taking care of kids, but spending time with my family this week really exposed just how comfortable I am in a maternal position. When Pace cried, I would just pick him up, feed him if he seemed hungry, or walk around the room with him to quiet his cries. Sarah has started calling me by name ("Ee-fa! Ee-fa!") and pretty much stuck to my side the whole night, even if I couldn't devote my entire attention to her.

Last night my dad babysat for them, as I was at the closing program for the day camp I've been working at this summer. On my way in I stopped by my aunt and uncle's house to say hello to my dad and the kids. The girls and I greeted each other in mutual excitement and cheerfulness, and Sarah immediately wanted me to take my shoes off and get comfortable. Later on, my dad and I read a few books with her. Seeing her precious face acknowledging the words and images on the pages was something beyond words. Before my dad and I left for home, I put Sarah to bed. We went through the whole routine--diaper change, tooth brushing, changing into her gown, before I read her a final book and turned the light out.

They were simple evenings, filled with not much more than relaxing with family. But they were special to me. I wish I could always be one street over so that I could witness the kids' growth on a more daily basis, but I know that whenever I am in the neighborhood, the Boyack family will always welcome me with open arms.

I have no idea where children will fit into my life in the future, but I do know that there is something about being in the presence of children that is always heartwarming for me. There is some sense of wisdom that they possess that subconsciously changes me. When I am in the presence of little ones, especially my own family members, I become a little one. All of the little tasks and scedules in my life disappear, and I can focus my gaze upon the joy of Sarah's blonde ringlets, Savannah's easygoing spirit, and Pace's innocent baby essence.

Comments

Popular Posts