From Stuffy Classrooms to Botswana Smiles

Today was a good day. It started early, with an 8:00 African Traditional Religions class which no professor showed up for. Evidently it happens a lot during the first week of classes, which I gathered from conversations with other students who are having similar situations. One of the international students I was talking to about it explained that it must have to do with the students not having received their government checks to pay for tuition yet. It didn't particularly bother me, though, I suppose because I'm already learning that living here takes a great deal of patience. You see, there's "time," and then there's "Africa time," particularly, "Botswana time." Things in general just take a little longer here. While it is easy to be frustrated by this fact, I think it also teaches a good lesson. I think it is so easy for us to lose track of the things that really matter--things like community, especially through face-to-face communication, when we are so wired to move blindly from one task to the next. Here, things take a more leisurely pace, and if there are two or three hours of waiting or free time, so be it. Get yourself a Coke or a beer and take it easy.

I am still constantly refreshed by how genuinely kind people are here. Anytime I go to a meal with international students and we sit down at a table with locals, they are very curious about us and are patient with any questions we pose at them. Botswana may be the first place I have been in where people actually mean it when they ask, "How are you?" They're not just saying it to be polite; they're saying it because they actually care. At lunch today, three girls from UB (one studied in the U.S. last semester) who I just met one or two days ago offered to walk with me to choir rehearsals this week since I'm interested in singing here this semester. So generous! Even when everything else is a little chaotic, the friendly, smiling faces of the students and staff here are comforting.

More to come.

Tip #1: Don't get into an unlicensed cab.
Tip #2: When bartenders ask you to come say hi before you leave a restaurant, be flattered.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts