Moments of Silence

I've been meaning to write for a couple of days now, but I haven't let myself take the time to do so.

The end of last week was busy: I stayed up late Thursday night typing up a draft for my first English paper of the semester, had three classes Friday, followed by hospice visits and a trip to Little Rock with my best friends to eat dinner at our friend Rachel's grandmother's house. Saturday afternoon I was rejuvenated by a simple but important few moments of peace.

I went to the library after returning from an open house to look at a book of photographs on reserve for my Images of the City class. It may have been the first time I've been to the Hendrix library on a Saturday afternoon. The silence was calming. As I sat and looked at the photographs, I was reminded just how important it is to simply be quiet sometimes, especially in the midst of papers, reading, activities, and technology that constantly call for my attention.

Writing has a similar effect. When I take the time to release some of my thoughts, letting the words flow phrase by phrase, I am always refreshed.

Comments

Popular Posts