"Our World"

Today is my cousin Savannah's eleventh birthday. I cannot even believe it.

I can still see us as two kids (disregarding the almost ten years between us), running around our grandmother's backyard playing with a ball, playing "family," "hotel (in which we would switch roles pretending to rent out the bedrooms in my grandmother's house) ," "restaurant," or "drive through." While we sometimes played board games or Barbies, we usually went with the pretend stuff--we both have pretty active and creative imaginations!

There is one particular set of childhood memories that comes to mind:
The two of us at family dinners and gatherings running back to my parents' bedroom to record our radio show, "Our World," on my mom's cassette recorder. We would spend ours pretending to be radio hosts, bringing in "special guests" (usually played by Savannah), reading stories, making up plays and skits, and playing musical instruments. The shows were always complete with an opening song (we rotated between Hoku's "Oxygen," Michelle Branch's "If Only She Knew"-- interesting choice!, and a song from the Parent Trap Soundtrack called "Never Let You Go," as well as one or two parts that centered around the day's topic. We chose all kinds of topics, including dogs, family, mothers (on Mother's Day), and music.There was also a particular part of each show called something like "The Sound of the Day," where one of us would make some sort of weird sound with our mouths.
Every time Savannah would come over to my house, "Can we record?" was always the first question out of her mouth.

It's been a few years since we recorded an episode of "Our World" or had an afternoon filled with making homemade ice cream or playing the SIMS, but the closeness we shared then has far from diminished. She is growing up so fast! (Well, I guess I am too...) Though it sounds cheesy, every time I come home from Hendrix and see her I am amazed at the young lady she is becoming. Sometimes I have to remind myself that she is not the little girl she used to be--she is dealing with growing up stuff that it seems like I dealt with yesterday. I hope that we continue to grow closer as we grow older, and that she knows I will always be here to laugh with her and guide her as she faces new exciting and challenging things.

I love you, Savannah Caroline! Have a wonderful birthday!

Comments

  1. Sweet! I love these pictures.

    And Savannah loved the post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts