Another Update

Unfortunately this is my second time writing this. I had a pretty lengthy post, but I must have hit the delete button as I approached the end. I'll try my best to write what I did before. With all of its emphasis on efficiency and expediency, technology sure does have a way of defeating its purpose sometimes.

Since when did it get to be February? It seems just days ago when I was stepping off the plane, tingling with anticipation (well... more like nausea from jet lag and sleep deprivation, but I'll disregard that) about what this semester would bring.

And oh, what it has brought thus far.

This weekend was a pretty good one-- a solid mixture of relaxation and (semi) productivity. Friday afternoon I went to Riverwalk Mall (we internationals frequent this place) with my friends Nicole, Dominique, Laura, Sagan, Jenn, and Shannon for some good eats (I had a coffee milkshake and an omelette...YUM) and grocery shopping, topped off with a coffee at Wimpy's (a local fast-foodish place) and a power outage throughout the entire mall. You learn to expect this kind of event in Botswana; one day there could be no running water on campus, a man could confess his undying love to you, so on and so forth. After returning from Riverwalk, Nicole, Dom. and I got dressed up and went to a social/dance for a women's leadership club on the UB campus. Several girls were given achievement awards for exceeding in school and helping the UB community. I enjoyed meeting the girls, and taking picture after picture with them. I've noticed that people here love taking photos with internationals, whether or not they actually know you.

Saturday and Sunday I slept quite a bit, but I also managed to get some laundry done (hand washing takes it out of you!), worked on starting a research paper due in a few weeks, and did some more planning for my upcoming spring break. I'm so excited to see Victoria Falls, African wildlife up close and personal, and to have an adventure with Nicole and Dominique. I'm really lucky to have made such good friends here.

This week I also started volunteering at the SOS Children's Village. It's an international organization started by an Austrian man some years back. The one I'm going to is located in the small town of Tlokweng, just outside Gabs. I enjoy my combi rides out there--I see cows meandering along the road and see women wearing their traditional dress (something not seen a lot in the city) every time I go. It's so wonderful to be in the presence of children again--their smiling faces just make me happy. I'm helping out in the kindergarten two mornings a week. There are only one or two teachers for a class of about 30, so I'm mainly there to help with classroom activities, help serve breakfast, and interact with the kids on the playground. Though I'm enjoying it, it has been more challenging than I expected, mainly because of the language barrier. The children are taught in both English and Setswana, and while they usually respond to English, it's sometimes hard to get my message across to them, especially "don't push," "we don't hit!" and "what's wrong?" Though they're a handful, they are sweet kids. They love to be touched and held and spun around, and they are fascinated by my blonde hair.

Overall, as I've stated before, I couldn't be more grateful to be experiencing this slice of the world. I feel as though I am allowing a different side of myself to be exposed, or that I am becoming more in tune with my own ability to adapt to new situations and new people. I also am discovering that a more adventurous aspect of myself is being brought out. When I was younger I always dreamed of going off on my own and seeing the world, and now that I'm actually doing that it feels like it's really "clicking." Even though I am generally a cautious person, especially when it comes to physical activities, I realize that I have learned so much in my growing up, and now being here, about risk-taking and seizing opportunities that arise. Even though my days aren't always as structured and planned out as they are back at home, or even when things don't go as planned, I've learned to say that it's okay. People weren't joking when they said that studying abroad broadens your whole perspective.

I look forward to whatever lessons the rest of my Botswana semester has in store for me.

Comments

  1. Dearest Beeva -- I love your blogging and the insights you express about more self understanding. I heard a sermon this morning about the importance of the difference chronos time and Kairos time, which is God's time. I imagine the slower pace of life in Botswana helps one develop an understanding of Kairos. I certainly think you are developing in that direction. I love you dearly and think it sounds like you're having a valuable experience!
    Ammie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts