A Few Things I Miss

From my previous blogs, it's not hard to tell that I am loving Botswana. The warm people, beautiful environment, awesome international and local friends are but a few reasons why. That being said, it's only natural for me to ponder about things back home once in a while, and to admit that there are things I definitely miss. Here are ten I thought I'd share:

1. My bed and ceiling fan. Especially today, since I have a cold.

2. White Rock Coffee. I'm lucky to have found a good coffee place here in Gaborone, but sometimes I just wish I could drive down to White Rock Coffee for a strong cup of joe and free wifi.

3. My cats and dogs. The little guys are just so cute. A lot of times at school (at Hendrix, mostly) I expect an animal to be in the room when I get in, or when I hear a noise I'll think it's a cat jumping up on something.

4. The Hendrix cafeteria. I never thought I'd say it, but I miss the salad bar, the almost daily frozen yogurt, and the breakfast.

5. My dear friends and family. It's weird to think about how I'm 10,000 miles away from everyone. Not seeing my friends every day is certainly weird, but I am so glad to be able to keep in regular contact with them.

6. Cold weather. Though I'm adjusting to the heat here, sometimes it'd be nice to just put on a sweatshirt and not feel as though I'm about to keel over.

7. Sunday morning rituals with my parents. As I was getting ready for church this past Sunday, I realized how much my family's Sunday schedule is ingrained in me. I wake up early to a pot of fresh coffee in the French press, get dressed and reprimand my dad for not getting ready soon enough (moving to a church that's only 2 minutes away has probably made us more late, not the other way around).

8. Routines with my friends at school. Late-night Waffle House or Taco Bell runs with my boys (though it's probably for the best that I don't have access to fatty fast food at 1 AM here); study time with Mika; choir with Rebecca, Hannah and Trevor; Fellowship meals with Sara's cooking on Thursdays; Hanging in Mika and Rachel's apartment; weekly meetings in the Miller Center; pillow talk with my roommate; Starbucks studying on Sundays with Torey are just a few that I can think of.

9. The little Hendrix campus. It's kind of cool to be at a big school, but I miss being able to get away with waking up minutes before class and still making it on time. I also miss the library, Torey's apartment and the Murphy House, where I like to study.

10. Hendrix faculty. It's weird not seeing my favorite professors on an almost daily basis.

Comments

Popular Posts