Botswana, ke o rata...

An older post that I've had sitting around:

I just love it here.

Today was a positively splendid day, full of fun, stress relief, and conversation with amazing people. This afternoon Dominique and I were invited by our UB friend KB to do a laid-back interview for a hip-hop radio station (hip-hop is huge here) he DJ's for in Gaborone, called "Bad News FM." We hopped on two combis and made our way to Broadhurst, one of the neighborhoods in Gabs. I managed to get a proposal on the way-- a man between 40 and 50 approached Dom and me, after shouting "I want the white women!" He shook our hands and hugged us (holding me a bit too long... "Okay, I'm gonna let you go now," I had to say before he nearly went in for a kiss). When I started to walk away he exclaimed, "I only want to buy you a goat!" "I appreciate it, but I don't know what I would do with a goat..." I replied before KB muttered something to him in Setswana that indicated he should leave us alone.
What a cultural experience.

Upon arriving at the radio station, Dom and I met KB's friend and fellow DJ, Thato. She's completely adorable and a total sweetheart. We met a local Gaborone rapper; took pictures; answered a few questions about our stay in Gabs thus far and what our upcoming vacation plans were; and gave shoutouts to our friends who were listening back at UB. We also got some interesting questions from listeners online who logged on to the station's chat during the program: "Are they single? I would love to date an American." I'm still not used to the attention I get from men here.

Later on, I had a group of ten or so people over to my dorm to cook good ol' American grilled cheese sandwiches. We also sliced some cucumber, carrots, and bell peppers. A few of our local friends joined us, including my Ugandan housemate Prossie, and seemed to enjoy the food a lot. We treated ourselves to Amarula (fermented from Botswana marula trees) with ice cream for dessert... YUM. That night we sat in the cool breeze at the graduate villa pavilion, chatting and laughing and commenting on how quickly our time in Bots is passing by.

It was a good day.

Comments

Popular Posts